Wednesday 19 February 2020

Bit and bobs and nothing in particular

It is that kind of day. Slow to get started and waiting for water to subside. Please excuse the poor quality of the video snippet. I was stuck in traffic, listening to ClassicFM!






Have you ever got something out of the freezer and planned it into your weekly meal plan? We had the game pie filling last night all baked in a pie. So far, so good. I had also defrosted what I thought was chilli for tonight’s supper only to take a peek this morning and find it is the extra stuffing made for the goose at Christmas.



It looks very good and it is full of chestnuts but it will not make a complete meal on its own so I’m going out to get a couple of pork chops and a chicken to roast. I will also need some apples for apple sauce. That will teach me to label things. I’m trying to use up all the meals I have made for winter for the freezer as I will not fancy them once Spring arrives.
How is the weather with you? We live about 3 miles from Upton on Severn which has a severe weather warning in place which means there is a danger to life from flooding. It was very bad on Monday night but water levels fell slightly but remained high yesterday. There is a rise in water levels expected again this afternoon as huge volumes of water flows down from Ironbridge, Bewdley then Worcester. I nearly got stranded on the wrong side of the Severn when I took an ecg monitor back to Worcester Royal. The bridge I used was closed to traffic a couple of hours after I crossed back.

Yesterday I decided to stay in and FINALLY got back to some proper crafting. In keeping with my Japanese theme from last week I started a foundation paper pieced wall hanging pattern. I had discovered the fabrics all ready together with the pattern in my sewing room. That is one of the benefits of having a tidy up. The pattern is fairly simple but I struggled to start with as it had been so long since I had used this technique.



Lastly, a photo of two amaryllis bulbs that I was given for Christmas. One has multiple blooms and the other just a few strap like leaves. Both from M & S and both started into growth on the same day. Any idea where I went wrong?



So today is a fairly gentle pottering sort of day. A bit of shopping, tidying and maybe some baking.

Wherever you are, stay dry and stay safe.

Catherine x



12 comments:

  1. Your day sounds nice, a bit of gentle pottering is always good. I hope the flood waters disperse soon, I imagine it must be stressful and a bit scary for anyone living in a flood plane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The environment agency have been working very hard along with all the other services. Most people are being kept informed by the EA via Twitter and Facebook and the community spirit is amazing

      Delete
  2. There has been unbelievable amounts of water in your part of the world. I am glad to hear that you are safe and dry, how lucky to get over the bridge right before it closed to traffic. Sounds like pottering at home is the best thing to be doing right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were very careful to check every possibility of flooding in our village and it has never flooded so far but Upton, our nearest small town, used to suffer every year from horrendous flooding. Several years ago there was money put forward for raising the level of the road and putting in flood barriers. It really paid off this year.

      Delete
  3. When I see the pictures of flooding on the news I realise that we, in Hertfordshire, have been very lucky with both of the recent storms. It looks like you had a lot more rain than we did! I did smile at your freezer mishaps - I'm awful at labelling too, but it sounds like you soon had alternative meals sorted.
    Your Japanese pattern is beautiful, such lovely fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I think we will have to get used to this as the new normal. The flood defence systems have been much improved over the last few years and have held up so far in Upton. I’m look8ng forward to more work on the Japanese fabrics tomorrow

      Delete
  4. Funny about getting the stuffing out and thinking it was something else. I often freeze soups and chili. I have gotten out what I thought was chili only to discover it was taco soup. Which I like, but not when I really, really had my heart set on chili!!

    Yay for classic on FM!

    The Asian-inspired crafting is gorgeous. Gorgeous. A dear friend gave me an Origami peace crane. I love it so much. Your pieces are so delicate and pretty. I am anxious to see how the wall hanging turns out.

    I need desperately to get into my craft space and tidy. And purge. Waaaay too much in there. Would like to do a post about craft spaces. Would you be in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve never had taco soup so I am not quite sure what it is. I thought tacos were folded tortillas with a filling. I think you will have to put a recipe on your blog. I intend to spend a couple more hours crafting today but tidying might be needed first. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for coming by my blog and leaving a kind comment. As you can see I'm following you now and look forward to the blog friendship. Our regional news has been featuring the flooding in Yorkshire, but I know that other counties have also been hard hit. I hope the flood defences that were put in place in your area hold. That video clip of the river shows what's going on where you live and I wish you well especially when you're out-and-about. Your Japanese textile project looks interesting. I look forward to see the finished piece. We had an amaryllis - the same variety and same source. It's a shame that one has flowered and the other hasn't. I believe they can be hit-and-miss with blooms although they do give a lot of pleasure when they do produce flowers. The one we had flowered again the following year after I cut down the stem once it had finished blooming. However, this year nothing. Wishing you a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flood defences have done a marvellous job on the whole but last night I was talking to a choir member whose son was flooded out in Powick just up the road. Such a shame for them but apparently the loss adjusters have been and were really reasonable.
      I’m going to cut the stalk off that has gone over and feed both pits to build the bulbs up for next year so maybe both will flower then. I’m looking forward to browsing through your blog and getting to know a little about you too. Thank you

      Delete
    2. Hello Catherine. I hope you have success with your amaryllis. I use Photoscape to edit my photos on my desktop on my laptop big screen. (Like you I used to use PicMonkey, but then it was not available). I find Photoscape a good alternative.

      Delete
  7. I am a great one for sticking stuff in the freezer "for later" (no labels of course) and having some surprises "later" - "Oh, is that what it was!" Which reminds me - I will have to have a look soon what is at the bottom.
    Beautiful flower! One thing to be said for this wet weather - more time inside to do some crafting - I am sure lot of people would not agree with me. When we viewed this house, I clocked straight away that it was on top of a hill. I have been thinking about you, glad you are safe,
    xx

    ReplyDelete