Tuesday 28 January 2020

Sourdough bread

One of my new hobbies has been renewing an interest in bread making and in particular using a sourdough starter. This is a mix of flour and water that ferments and becomes active with ‘good bacteria’ and yeasts. It is fed twice daily to build up its strength and from then on can be put in the fridge to slow the action and be brought out to use in the baking process.
As with all new hobbies this is a learning curve and my first loaves were like frisbees. A bit close textured and with little rise. However I persevered, read books, articles and blogs, joined Facebook groups and eventually I started to produce what I think is an enjoyable sourdough loaf. The texture is fairly airy and it has a crispy crust. There are many advantages of using a starter like this. The taste is super and not too sour, the bread is more easily digested because of the action of the yeasts and bacteria than standard bread and it has good keeping qualities.
I am going to see a friend in Gloucestershire today for a belated birthday lunch and decided to take her a small boule of my bread and a jar of homemade marmalade. I took photos yesterday of the various stages in the process.

The first photo is of the first mix of strong white flour, water, starter and salt. This is all that goes into making a plain white sourdough boule.It is a rather shaggy mix that is left for an hour to let the process start. This is called ‘autolyse’


For the next couple of hours I performed a series of stretch and folds every thirty minutes or so but timing is not that important at this stage. The dough is grabbed at one side, pulled upwards and stretched over to the other side of the bowl. The bowl is turned and the stretch is repeated about 8-20 times. All the work is done in the bowl and I don’t do a traditional knead.
Afte a couple of hours the bowl is covered and then left to prove, usually overnight at room temperature. I cheated yesterday and proved on the dough setting in my oven to speed up the process so I could bake this morning.



After the overnight prove I would generally shape and place in a wooden basket called a banneton. This is put in the fridge to develop flavour and firm up prior to baking. However last night I had speeded up the process, shaped and put into the bannetons and into the fridge.

This morning I turned out the dough, score the top and baked. I put the dough in an enamel roaster with a lid. This goes into the cold oven which I then set at 240c fan for 30 minutes then reduce to 220cfan. As this was a small boule I baked for 45 minutes but my normal sourdough loaves bake for a total of 60 minutes.

This is the final result which I will wrap in baking paper tied with string. I also have a jar of homemade Merry marmalade (with gin) for her.



So, that’s the start of my day. I’m looking forward to lunch out and then this evening a concert by the King Singers at the Malvern Theatre.

Catherine








18 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine, thanks for the information Sourdough is on my list to have a go at. Take care Tricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can recommend a website that I used. Foodbodsourdough.com
      There’s lots of advice, tips and recipes. She also has a Fb page. Good Luck!

      Delete
  2. Oh I do love sourdough bread, and that finished loaf looks delicious - I am sure your friend was thrilled with her gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I’ve got the second boulei in the oven at the moment. That is the beauty of sourdough. It can be kept for a day or two in the fridge prior to baking so you can choose when is the best time to bake. Then I must go and get ready to go out. I need some more jam jars for marmalade.

      Delete
  3. It does look good :-) I have made it several times, although now I make more simple breads, which are quicker (just not organised enough!)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing. I bet it tastes fantastic too. I hope your gifts were well received.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sourdough, it's far and away my favourite bread. I used to make it myself, but the starter eventually died (from neglect, I think I was busy with other things at the time). Nowadays I don't eat a lot of bread (cutting down on carbs) so don't make nearly as much bread as I used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only bake once a week generally. I love sourdough but not for sandwiches so I buy fresh baps or white break from a local bakery. I have left my starter for a couple of months I fed at one time and was still able to resuscitate it with lots of talc.

      Delete
  6. Hi Catherine, I just found your blog via Frugal in Norfolk. Love the beautiful rose in your header. The sourdough looks and sounds delicious! Looking forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rose was newly planted a couple of years ago. It’s a climber to go over the archway tothe back garden. I am very pleased with it. Thank you for following

      Delete
    2. I’ve just popped outside and it is called “ A Shropshire Lad”, a David Austin new English rose

      Delete
  7. That looks delicious, I do love these rustic looking loaves. I've never made sourdough bread, it's always seemed a bit too faffy getting started. Did you buy your starter or did you make it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done both with starters. My original one I ‘grew’ myself but after a bit it became a bit too sour. I think I had starved it at one point. I bought the second about 9 months ago and it is perfectly well behaved so far. This method of Breadmaking is over two days but involves creepy little work, it is mostly just looking after itself on the bench or in the fridge

      Delete
  8. Beep beep autocomplete! I don’t know how ‘creepy’ got into my last reply. I think it may have been relatively little work

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I can almost smell that . . . . A really good, fresh sourdough roll with a thoroughly ripe brie has got to be one of life’s most glorious feasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sourdough is very divisive. I have been surprised to find some people are not too keen but everyone to their own.. the loaf did not last too long

      Delete