Monday 24 February 2020

Real Bread Week and baking with a friend’s flour


We enjoyed the sourdough spelt loaf so much last week that I am repeating it this weekend. This time I am using a spelt flour produced by a friend who farms with her husband in Herefordshire. Lydia sings in Powick Community choir which I belong to. She has the most wonderful alto singing voice with a lovely tone. At practice last night she was asked to sing a solo from Les Miserables, “I dreamed a dream” It was amazing.
Lydia and her husband Toby produce the most beautiful pale cream coloured silky spelt flour. I’ve included a photo of both the spelt and Waitrose strong white flour to show the difference in colour of the two grains.


Strong white flour on left

Lydia and her husband have started to diversify with a pop up restaurant with pizzas for festivals, weddings and other events.

http://toadsmill.co.uk/

Farming is hard at the best of times and the wet weather which has gone on and on is just an extra worry for the farming community.

I’m excited to be trying this new to me flour that is grown just 16.5 miles away. I’ve just done the first mix so hope to bake tomorrow afternoon.

Saturday

I found a bowl of beautifully risen dough this morning so I gently knocked it back slightly into s ball and placed in the wooden basket (banneton) and into the fridge where the flavour will develop for a few hours. The dough does not rise in the banneton. All the rise comes in the oven. (oven spring). Slightly translucent bubbles are just visible on the top of the dough.


I baked the loaf on Saturday afternoon and could not resist cutting into it.


This was the tastiest loaf imaginable. It was moist and soft inside with a very crispy crumb and only very slightly sour but nutty taste. I’m a convert to using spelt now.

I have saved this post as from February 22nd it is Real Bread Week.
I am a very proud baker and supporter of our farming community who produce the most amazing flours and seeds for us to cook with.

https://www.sustainweb.org/news/dec19_real_bread_week_2020_theme

I encourage everyone to have a go at making bread whether it is an easy, no fuss soda bread, a traditional bread made with yeast or sourdough. Once you get into the habit of baking bread there is no going back. If you haven’t time to bake please do try to buy from traditional bakeries when you can. All these businesses need our support these days.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/simple-soda-bread

I have knocked up a crusty topped bloomer or Tiger bread this morning. The recipe was taken from Nancy Birtwhistle’s website. She was the winner of Great British Baker in 2014.
My tiger crust caught slightly so I will reduce the temperature in the recipe next time. An easy recipe that just took 10 minutes kneading, time to prove, 5 minutes shaping, a rest and then 30 minutes in the oven. It’s feasible to start this loaf after breakfast and have it for a late lunch.



https://www.nancybirtwhistle.co.uk/recipes/crusty-topped-bloomer-tiger-bread/

So, while we are confined to our homes with the bad weather and floods.....Get Baking! Or building an Ark!

Catherine x




26 comments:

  1. What an absolutely beautiful looking loaf, Catherine. I adore sourdough, it's my favourite bread by far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People think it must be time consuming but most of the time is spent waiting for the dough to develop. I love the flavour.

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness, that looks beyond delicious! I miss 'real' (wheat flour) bread so much - will go and have a look at Linda's website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of lovely ideas and inspiration. Never used spelt flour so I’ll have to give it a go. Thanks. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Spelt is lovely but I find it needs the support of a stronger flour so I use 50% of each.

      Delete
  4. Oh my! That bread looks amazing. I'm going to have to bake some myself now. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could reach into that picture and grab a slice - I love Spelt flour. I have a recipe for some rolls that I intend to make (it is years since I made bread)and you have given me the encouragement I need to get going on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those photos are making me hungry, your loaves look delicious. I tend to go in fits and starts with breadmaking, I start making it myself for a while and then I go for long periods where I don't. I think it encourages me to eat more when I make my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, it seems a shame not to eat the lot but I’m fairly good and as sourdough will generally keep well if stored correctly I manage to make a loaf last about 5 days

      Delete
  7. You definitely make me want to have a go at bread making! I used to make bread in a bread maker and loved experimenting - but haven't done so for ages (years?) I feel like I should have a go at doing a loaf by hand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your loaves look amazing Catherine. Spelt flour is wonderful isn't it, I discovered it a few years ago and only buy that now if I want a brown flour. I have been listening to a really interesting set of Podcasts about Grains it was a series of programmes - I think six in all - produced by Famerarma I can really recommend them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll take a look. I must sayI do like a well flavoured loaf but not keen on whole meal. The spelt was a good alternative for me.

      Delete
  9. I am trying to keep our 100 year old yeast starter alive but really struggle to do so. Need to make bread with it this week. But my loaves are not rising well. Have been adding dry yeast to give it a boost but that hasn't helped much. Suggestions? Your loaves look so hearty and delicious. Love the crustiness.

    Would you be interested in joining me for a spring bucket list post? Or spring activities post? Some folks shy away from 'bucket' list. Our posts will go live on 03.21 and can be as indepth or simple as you like. If you are interested, please email me mommyhon333@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How is your starter behaving, what is the temperature where you are, how often do you feed? So many factors to consider so I’ll tell you what I do. My starter is kept in the fridge and used every week. I keep about 100gms in a covered bowl. I bring it out and leave to bring to room temperature for an hour. I feed with 40gms strong bread flour and 40gms water. It is left and becomes very bubbly after about 4 hours at comfortable kitchen temperature. I don’t wait for it to double in size but there is plenty of activity in the starter. I then mix 50 gms active starter with 500gms flour and 350 gms water and 5-7 gms salt. Rough mix then leave for an hour. Then for next couple of hours ido stretch and folds in the bowl every half hour. After about 2-3 hours of stretch and folds the dough is silky and feels stretchy and resilient if you know what I mean. I leave the dough to prove in a coolish place overnight. It rises to fill the bowl, at least double but possibly more. The next morning I do the stretch and folds gently once more and gather the dough into a ball. Don’t knock it back hard. This is put into the banneton and into the fridge to firm and develop flavour for about 4 hours but maybe up to 24 hours. Then into a cold covered roaster, a cold oven which is then set for 240c fan for 30 minutes then 220c fan for 30 minutes. Eat voila!
      The starter goes straight back in the fridge once it has been used and left until the next time.
      If yours is really struggling try taking 50gms, feeding with 50gms strong flour and 50gms water, mix and leave out. Do this twice a day and leave on the counter. Afte a few days it should bounce back. Treat the rest as you would normally just in case.

      Delete
  10. Your bread looks amazing. I have never been able to produce good bread, my hubby threatened to use one loaf as a door stop! He's now bought me a bread maker and the results are, at least, now edible. I think my problem is that I can't knead it thoroughly enough because of it hurting my hands. Yours now...mmm... scrumptious x

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of the pleasures of the method I use i is that there is no kneading at all! The dough is stretch3 and folded about 8 or 9 times every 30 minutes over a 2 hour period. It is done in the bowl so no mess and then just left to rise. Easy please.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's good to support local businesses as you do with your friend's flour mill. I know how many have to diversify by putting on special events. All the best to her and husband. Television programmes about such enterprises, farming, country life interest me. Then hands on in the kitchen is satisfying. Your bread looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Catherine, the bread looks so delicious that I'm drooling all over the screen here! You leave me with no other choice than to go bake a loaf for me right now. Thank you for the suggestion, you have given me motivation to start baking after my breakfast. While you're being awesome, do share further stuffings that I could put into bread.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All your loaves look wonderful and your friend's flour looks good too. My husband makes all our bread and likes to bake with different flours so we have different breads to taste and try, I'll mention the Toad's Mill Flour as he has a bread website - http://www.breadpages.org.uk/:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Catherine. Gosh your bread looks amazing - wish I could just reach into my screen & taste test a piece!! I have seen sourdough recipes on lots of blogs & you tube videos lately & would love to give it a go. Thanks so much for your visit to my blog & the lovely comment you left me. Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Catherine, just popped across and LOVE this post. I have made bread since I first learned in 1980, but have been cheating in recent years by just bunging it in the breadmaker so I can walk away and leave it. Now I'm rising it in the breadmaker (ours is a cold kitchen) and then shaping, adding seeds etc and baking in the oven.

    Inspiration from your post, so I will look up the links now. In this difficult time, friends are making bread who would never have dreamed of doing so normally! Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment. I’ve been a bit discouraged with blogging again. I’m running a Facebook group for my choir and posting two or three times a day to try and keep spirits up. I read my blog roll every morning in bed (where I am now) and leave comments. I feel so guilty not to be blogging but so enjoy everyone else’s blogs.

      Delete
  17. Catherine, I’m hoping you and your family are staying healthy! Our son came home from Montana during this pandemic and enjoys baking breads so these recipes are helping to keep us happy! I read your reply to the last lady and understand your situation. I’m the web gal for 4 groups’ Facebook pages and 2 websites. Trying to do sewing, genealogy and gardening doesn’t leave much time for my own blog but I’m trying. Post when you can! Hope you’re healthy! Zenda

    ReplyDelete