Sunday 16 February 2020

A successful night at W.I.


Despite all my worries about the Japanese inspired evening I was running last Thursday it all went really well. There was a goodish turnout of about 30 members even though the weather was not too good.

Fran in the centre

After the official business session I introduced the theme of the evening and Fran demonstrated 3 different wrappings with the furoshiki. This literally translates a ‘bath sheet’. There has been a resurgence in the popularity of this craft since the early 2000s when it was recognised as a more ecologically acceptable way to wrap gifts.

Add caption

The leaf bag from a silk scarf

I helped about 10 members with some sashiko practice with small kits I made up myself. In the last week I had made a simple book bag with Japanese fabric and some basic sashiko stitching on one side.



The sashiko table

Our final table was laid out with origami papers and examples of four easy models, a fall leaf, a minnow, a windmill and a shell. I had printed out the instructions from the books I had. This table became the centre of great concentration and hilarity.
One member came up late to thank me and to say how much she enjoyed these craft sessions as they gave everyone the opportunity to chat and that even the most shy members had been able to join in. We all enjoy the talks by outside speakers but gathering around a table with everyone trying something new is much appreciated.



On the home front we have done what all the country has been doing and hunkered down to see out the storm. I decided to use up bits and bobs in the fridge and freezer left over from Christmas. This year we had goose for Christmas lunch and I had put the two large legs in the freezer. I came across a recipe for Christmas goose dum biryani at this website. I always have a large stock of spices and had all I needed apart from ground fennel so I pounded up some fennel seeds instead with the garlic and ginger. I don’t often spend all afternoon cooking the evening meal but this was really worth it. However I forgot to take a photo but it was not far off the one in the recipe. The biryani was served with lime wedges, raita, red onion rings and scattered with pomegranate seeds and coriander.
Dessert was a baked cheesecake adapted from several recipes and using up cartons of ricotta and marscapone which had escaped notice and were about a week out of date. They smelt fine and looked ok too so they were whisked up with more cream, lemon zest, vanilla essence, eggs and sugar and put on a base of crushed chocolate digestives. The recipe had said ginger biscuits but these were all I had in the cupboard.
One tip I did get from the net was to cook new season rhubarb in a slow cooker. The stems are cut up into short lengths and put on the base of the container and sprinkled with 100gms of castor sugar. The rhubarb takes 45 minutes to cook and the castor sugar melts into the juices to form a syrup. No water is necessary. This slightly sweet rhubarb perfectly offset the creamy cheesecake and I had the satisfaction of using up things that may have been binned.
I decided not to make a traditional Sunday lunch today as it will be just be for the two of us. I came across a largish piece of rump steak in the freezer so we will be enjoying some griddled steak with chips, baked cherry tomatoes and spinach then some more of the cheesecake. I’ll have to watch what I eat at the beginning of the week to make up for all the calories over the weekend!

Whatever you are doing I hope you have an enjoyable weekend. I’m off to Manchester to see Mum tomorrow so that will mean an early start.

Catherine x

11 comments:

  1. Wow, I want to come to your WI, and afterwards please will you invite me for curry at your place? 😉 Sounds like you have had a great week and I hope you continue to stay safe until this storm has passed.

    PS: thank you for the link to Maunika's recipes - there is some lovely stuff there that I will try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I will have a go at more Indian recipes. There was a recipe for Parsi lamb chops which sounded interesting. It is brightening up here now so maybe the worst of the weather has passed.

      Delete
  2. Baked cheesecake, please. I have never tried to make a real cheesecake. I don't understand how the spring form pan keeps the mix/batter in without dripping. So I just haven't given it a go. But maybe I need to get over my spring form pan-phobia.

    Would love to sit in on one of your sessions. Origami is such a beautiful art. I have tried using scrapbook paper odds and ends for it but the right paper is an important part of the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn’t sure whether you looked back at your comments so emailed separately as well. The base and sides of the cake tin were wrapped in foil to prevent any leakage and this worked a treat. I baked at a low setting 140 c fan for 45 minutes then 110c for 10 minutes until there was just a slight wobble in the middle. I placed a roasting tin of hot water in the oven to prevent a thick skin forming on the top of the cheesecake. Do give it a go as it is quite easy to do and much nicer I think than the type set with gelatine.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a fun evening. I love the book bag with the Japanese print. Lucinda Sans

    ReplyDelete
  4. wherethejourneytakesme17 February 2020 at 08:35

    Hi Catherine - I didn't realise you have a blog and an interesting one too. What a great night you put on for everyone. One of my Christmas presents this year was wrapped in fabric - I think it will catch on quite quickly, so much better than using paper as it can be reused especially as patchwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve only just started again as I realised Ihad no record of what I did for the last four years. I enjoy this time in the morning reading my blog roll in bed with a cup of tea but I’ve just glanced at the clock and I had better get up and face the world! I’m not sure I I’ll be fabric wrapping but I saw parcels wrapped up in stencilled brown paper and sealing wax that looked very attractive so that is on my “to do” list.

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of Sashiko before. The technique looks amazing and I absolutely love the navy book bag. The cheesecake sounds lovely too. Have a safe journey visiting your mum, Catherine. Angie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change of plan due to flooding locally so I’m going to do some quilting

      Delete
  6. I am glad to hear that you W.I. evening went well and that you preparation was well received. It looks like you are all having a great time. Cooking from the store cupboard can be more fun than any other cooking although I often come up with meals that I cannot reproduce as I didn't write down what I did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like such a fun evening with members learning something new whilst chatting to friends, I'm glad it went down well. I really need to go through my freezer and see what's lurking in there, we need to eat from it for a while now as it's so full I can't get anything else in.

    ReplyDelete